Saturday, October 10, 2009

Protein Sensitive

So I have been irritated and overwhelmed with the dryness and, roughness and non-touchableness (is that a word? lol) of my hair. It seemed as though nothing I used, whether leave in cream conditioner, moisturizer etc., will keep my hair touchable soft like I so crave. Then I realized after looking at blogs and other sites that my strands may have protein overload and the products that I have been using (conditioners, styling products) all had some sort of protein in them. So I decided to examine all of my hair products and use only those that was void of any type of protein. All the products that I had had some sort of protein in it.

I am a little bit upset because I just ordered a plethora of products.

1. Lacio Lacio Leave-In Conditioner (Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein)
2. SheaMoisture Leave-in Conditioner (Aloe-Vera)
3. BB Oil Moisturizer w/Castor Oil & Aloe Vera

Products that I had to give up:

My whole Giovanni line because they all had some type of protein in them

But I did buy some conditioners without any protein

1. Suave ColorCare Conditioner - Good price
2. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted - Curlynikki.com loves it
3. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration - I likie
4 Herbal Essences Hydralicious - Moisturizes very well
5. Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Berry - Best bang for the buck 22.5 oz for under 2$. I will use this to wash out my henna.

Some common protein names found in many haircare products:


Some common proteins found in hair care products
Protein Major Amino Acids (generally many more amino acids are present)

Collagen- Glycine, proline

Keratin Proline, lysine, cysteine (a sulfur-containing amino acid)

Silk- Glycine and alanine

Soy- Glutamic acid, aspartic acid

Rice- Glutamic acid, aspartic acid, arginine

Milk- Glutamic acid, proline (contains all eight of the “essential” amino acids)

Oat- Glutamine, lysine

Wheat- Arginine, Leucine, Methionine

Aloe Vera

No comments: